Caitlyn Bobb takes bittersweet look back on final Carifta Games
Caitlyn Bobb has given her final appearance at the Carifta Games the proverbial thumbs-up up, despite not having lived up to her own expectations at the National Stadium in Kingston, Jamaica.
The 2021 Junior Female Athlete of the Year earned Bermuda’s first medal at the regional meet after clinching the bronze medal among a formidable field in the under-20 girls 400 metres, clocking a season’s best 53.12sec.
She then anchored the island’s under-20 girls 4 x 400 relay team, which included Sanaa Morris, Keturah Buford-Trott and Shayla Cann, to the bronze medal in a time of 3min 48.69sec.
“This Carifta Games was a nice way to go out,” Bobb told The Royal Gazette. “I medalled in two out of four of my races, so I can’t complain.
“However, I did want to place high in the open 400 but ran a season’s best (53.12), so a PR came out of the race.
“The conditions of the meet were ideal and level of competition was nice.”
Bobb was fifth in the under-20 girls 200 in 24.74.
“Unfortunately, I did not reach the expectations I set for myself in the 400 or the 200,” she added. “There were not as many highs as I hoped for.
“The main lows were my times and placement. So back to the drawing board to evaluate and alter some things to strive for my goals.”
Bobb was not the only member of her family enjoying success at the Games as sister Madsyn earned a silver medal with S’Nya Cumbermatch, Jaeda Grant and Ellise Dickinson in the under-17 girls 4 x 400 relay, which they completed in 4:03.23.
“We had a good amount of newbies medal, achieve personal bests and get the Carifta experience,” Bobb said. “God willing, they can continue their success in Bahamas in 2023.
“It was a nice Carifta and I have passed the torch to my sister.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service