Traits of the Millennial generation
Millennials, also known as the Millennial Generation or Generation Y, are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends. Most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.
Here are some of the traits and characteristics of the Millennial generation.
• Multitaskers: Millennials are multitasking pros and can juggle many responsibilities at once. This also means that we are easily distracted and find social media and texting hard to resist.
• Connected: Millennials know everything there is to know about social media because they are living it. They are constantly perusing Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. For this generation it is how to share and get information.
•Tech savvy: There is no doubt that the majority of Millennials are more tech savvy than other generations.
What do Millennials want?
• Instant gratification and recognition: Millennials need to feel like what they are doing is important and that they are on the right track. Yes, it sounds a little needy … and it is. But many Millennials grew up with constant praise from their baby-boomer parents. It's what they know.
• Work-life balance and flexibility: Millennials are not as willing as former generations to sacrifice their personal life to advance their careers. They like to “work hard — play hard” and want to be at a company that appreciates this desire for balance. They also expect a more flexible work environment than previous generations and want to work for a company that supports various causes.
• Collaboration: Millennials are extremely team-oriented and enjoy collaborating and building friendships with colleagues.
• Transparency: Millennials want to feel like they have an open and honest relationship with their manager and co-workers and that there won't be any nasty surprises when they join a company. Once they've signed on, they want assurance that their opinion is valued and both give and receive a good deal of feedback.
• Career advancement: Millennials want to know that they will have the opportunity to advance and develop their careers within the company they choose to join.
• For more information on the Millennials visit www.forbes.com and www.linkedin.com.