Taxi driver complains of adjournment
was adjourned yesterday, despite strong protests from the defendant.
Howard Burnell Cross, 56, of Sound View Road, will not be tried on charges that he threatened 54-year-old Frank Farley with a knife last July in Horseshoe Bay Car Park until the end of the month.
The adjournment came after Crown counsel Larry Mussenden revealed that two key witnesses in the matter had not turned up to give testimony.
On hearing Mr. Mussenden's request for more time, Cross, who is representing himself, protested: "This matter has been outstanding since last July and the prosecution has had all this time to put their case together.'' "It's been in front of the courts on several occasions and I think, after three strike outs and in the interests of justice, the case should be dismissed.'' But Mr. Francis pointed out that only one of his previous court appearances had been for a trial, and the others had been merely for mention.
Cross also expressed unhappiness with the fact that the two witnesses set down to give testimony will not be the case's complainants, who live overseas.
"I should be able to face my accuser and be tried on fact and evidence,'' he said.
But Mr. Francis noted: "I could prove a sex case without having the victim have to come up on the stand. All I'd need is an eye-witness to tell me they saw it happen.'' Cross said: "The prosecution has not produced one iota in this case and it's not right that I should have to be subjected to this.'' Mr. Francis set the matter down for January 31 and Cross' bail was extended.
ACCUSED OF INTENT TO SUPPLY DRUGS CTS Accused of intent to supply drugs Two men accused of importing almost $45,000 worth of cocaine with intent to supply were released on bail at Magistrates' Court yesterday.
Antwan Dwayne Darrell and Philip Michael DeSilva are charged with importing $44,875 of the drug on January 11 and with handling with intent to supply the following day.
Senior Magistrate Will Francis yesterday freed Darrell, 32, of Woodlawn Road, Sandys Parish, and DeSilva, 45, of Wentworth Lane, Sandys Parish each on bail of $5,000 plus a surety.
Darrell and DeSilva, who had been remanded in custody, were also ordered to surrender their travel documents and report to a Police station each week.
They will return to court for mention on February 17.
TEENAGER IN COURT Teenager in court A Sandys Parish teenager learned that dishonesty does not pay.
Sixteen-year-old Christopher Daniel Fox, of Scotts Hill Road, pleaded guilty in Magistrates' Court to giving Police false information, but denied the charge of driving a cycle without the owner's consent.
Crown counsel Leighton Rochester told the court that Fox and another young man were seen by Police on the Railway Trail in Southampton.
They noticed that both young men had helmets on and they were pushing a cycle.
The officers noticed that the cycle was in poor condition.
Both males said they were not the owner of the cycle.
At that time Fox gave the officer his name as David Kenneth McMichael.
After further questioning by the officers, Fox finally admitted his real name.
He was arrested and taken to Somerset Police Station where the officers found out that the cycle was reported stolen on October 24.
Fox admitted to moving the cycle but denied stealing it from the owner, saying that: "I didn't take the bike. I was trying to see if it worked.'' He later apologised to the court saying: "I'm sorry for what I done.''
