Immigration hotline to continue
Created: Jan 05, 2000 10:00 AM
kept on because it does not cost the department anything.Chief Immigration Officer Martin Brewer yesterday said in the seven months since the hotline was turned on, there had been no change in the department's policy toward the service.
kept on because it does not cost the department anything.
Chief Immigration Officer Martin Brewer yesterday said in the seven months since the hotline was turned on, there had been no change in the department's policy toward the service.
"We go through the tapes daily and we do the follow-up,'' Dr. Brewer said.
"If we get one call, it's effective. It doesn't cost us anything.'' He added: "There hasn't been any change. People seem to prefer to talk to an inspector. Those who wish to call after hours call the hotline.'' Installed on May 11 as part of the election manifesto of the new Progressive Labour Party Government, the hotline's effectiveness has not been reviewed.
The hotline number is 296-5202 and it operates around the clock.
