New care centre for young adults to be launched – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

New care centre for young adults to be launched

Tinée Furbert, the Minister of Social Development and Seniors (File photograph)

A new care centre for young adults will be up and running later this year, the social development minister has promised.

Tinée Furbert said that the new centre would ensure that children under the care of the Department of Child and Family Services would have an easier transition into adulthood.

She added: “The ministry in conjunction with the Department of Child and Family Services will continue to advance the independent-living transition programme that has been developed to ensure that children ageing out of care receive adequate levels of support while they transition.”

Ms Furbert made the announcement during her Budget presentation on Monday.

Ms Furbert said: “This programme is the first of its kind in Bermuda. It will provide ongoing assistance to in-care leavers with such matters as housing, continuing education, career guidance, access to physical and mental healthcare life skills counselling and opportunities intended to assist them in becoming self-sufficient and productive citizens of Bermuda.

“I am pleased to inform this honourable house that a programming and procedural manual and related programming documents have been developed.

“A suitable location has been identified for this programme and operations are expected to commence within the next two months.”

Ms Furbert said that ten children reached adulthood while under care last year.

The Ministry of Social Development has been given an estimated budget of almost $24.6 million for the year — an increase of $858,000 on last year.

Child and family services will get the largest share of the cash — $17.6 million — and $6.9 million will be targeted towards seniors.

Ms Furbert said that, despite financial constraints, the ministry had a duty to support “the most vulnerable” — children, the disabled, seniors, and the homeless.

She added that the ministry would hand out $1.34 million to senior rest homes, $600,000 to the Summerhaven facility for the disabled and $550,000 to the Salvation Army Shelter for the homeless.

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published March 16, 2022 at 7:41 am (Updated March 16, 2022 at 7:41 am)

New care centre for young adults to be launched

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon