Log In

Reset Password

Woman, 22, jailed for assaulting police

A woman with a history of attacking police was jailed yesterday after she admitted striking an officer in the face with a helmet.

Tenora Steede, 22, however denied attacking her stepfather with a fire poker and assaulting a second officer in the Hamilton Police Station on the same day.

Prosecutor Susan Mulligan told Magistrates’ Court that on January 4, the St George’s resident contacted her stepfather about collecting clothes from his home in Hamilton Parish.

He agreed and the pair went to his house, but as he was opening the basement for her she pulled a fire place poker from her jacket and pushed it into his face.

During the following altercation, the victim was allegedly struck in the collarbone area with the weapon and spat at.

He then contacted the police and filed a report. Officers found Steede in St George’s and attempted to arrest her on suspicion of assault, but the defendant started to fight, striking one officer in the face with a helmet before being detained.

She was taken to Hamilton Police Station for processing, where she allegedly attacked a second officer, pulling her hair while she was attempting to collect Steede’s personal property.

Questioned by police, Steede admitted striking the first officer, but denied the other offences, saying the second officer had attacked her.

The court heard that Steede was last year sentenced to ten days in prison after being convicted of assaulting an officer, and in a separate incident was sentenced to time served after threatening one officer and violently resisting arrest.

Duty counsel Oonagh Vaucrosson, speaking on Steede’s behalf, said that Steede apologised for her actions, and that she lashed out because she didn’t believe she should be arrested.

Senior Magistrate Archibald Warner said that while a person shouldn’t be sentenced for their previous convictions, they do indicate a person’s continued behaviour.

“This woman has got a history of assaulting the police with impunity when they are dealing with matters she is involved in,” he said.

He was then interrupted by Steede, who said: “They assault me and I defend myself. What’s the problem? Why is it always two or three police officers against me?”

Continuing, Mr Warner said that he would take into account that she had admitted her guilt with the one offence and had apologised, but added: “I must also take into account her attitude to her offence, and that speaks to itself.”

Mr Warner began to read out the details of the prior convictions, but Steede again interrupted the magistrate, saying: “Stop lying.”

Mr Warner sentenced Steede to 30 days’ imprisonment starting immediately for the offence of assaulting an officer, and adjourned the other three matters until March 5 when they will return to court for trial.

He added: “The next time you tell me I’m lying when I’m reading from a record, I will hold you in contempt of court.”

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published January 08, 2013 at 8:00 am (Updated January 07, 2013 at 11:20 pm)

Woman, 22, jailed for assaulting police

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon