Log In

Reset Password

Manders rolls back the years

Arnold Manders, the former Cup Match star, rolled back the years as he claimed four wickets to help Tuff Dogs reach the Evening Cricket League’s Premier Division knockout final with a 35-run win over Fine Leg Byes at Shelly Bay.

Slow bowlers Manders, 57, and captain Terence Corday halted FLB’s victory charge, claiming seven wickets between them after earlier shoring up their side’s batting in Sunday’s second semi-final following Renegades’ one-run victory over The Associates the previous weekend.

Opener Trevor Corday made 28 and Dean Minors, the former Bermuda wicketkeeper, chipped in with 17 before he was out in the fifteenth over with the total 86 for six.

Captain Corday and Manders (nine not out) then teamed up to deny Leg Byes any further success with the ball and post a challenging total of 135 for six from their 20 overs.

Corday bludgeoned 18 off the penultimate over from Junior Lindo, who claimed two for 39, finishing unbeaten on 29. Fernando Paul took two for 27.

Leg Byes began their run chase against the league champions with a bang, openers Dave Greenidge and Gary Ray taking 12 off the first over from Trevor Corday and, having both been dropped early on, moved the total to 40 without loss after eight overs.

But the introduction of Manders, who took four for 18, and Terence Corday, three for 23, who each bowled the maximum five overs, swung the game irrevocably Tuff Dogs’ way.

Manders took two wickets with successive deliveries, removing Greenidge for 24 and Josh Butler for nought, before Corday struck in the eleventh over, having the dangerous Ray caught for 40.

Leg Byes could not recover from these setbacks, closing on 100 for eight from their 20 overs.

Saturday’s final between Tuff Dogs and Renegades will start at 2pm following the Second Division final at 10am between Deloitte and St George’s.

Simon Wray claimed a wicket with the final ball of the match as Renegades completed a dramatic one-run win over The Associates in the Evening Cricket League’s Premier Division knockout semi-finals at Shelly Bay last Thursday.

Rich Biram needed two to win off the last delivery but had his middle stump knocked back by Wray as The Associates were restricted to 114 for nine in reply to Renegades’ 115 in 19.3 overs, which was highlighted by Ryan Miller’s knock of 40.

It was the first time Renegades, the league runners-up, had been bowled out this season. But it was enough to secure Renegades a spot in Saturday’s final against Tuff Dogs.

Belmont beat The Associates in the previous two finals but failed to qualify for the knockout after finishing last of the seven teams which finished the season after Bailey’s Bay withdrew.

Next weekend’s Second Division knockout final will be between Deloitte and St George’s.