Log In

Reset Password

St David’s make short work of Somerset

First Prev 1 2 3 Next Last
Photograph by Lawrence TrottAllan Douglas rocks on the back foot and pulls a short delivery from Isaiah Richardson of Somerset. Douglas was bowled next ball, attempting the same shot to a ball that stayed low.

Patience paid off for champions St David’s as they got the only win in the One Premier Division on a day dominated by washouts.

St David’s travelled the length of the island for their match with Somerset and then had to wait more than five hours after that before the umpires gave the go-ahead for the 20 overs match to start at 4pm.

It proved to be a good toss for St David’s to win as they knocked Somerset down for 89 and then reached 90 for three in reply in ten overs as the match was over in less than 2½ hours.

Allan Douglas, coming in at 27 for two, led the run chase with a fluent 33 that included just one single as Douglas, batting as though he had an appointment to keep, smashed four sixes and two fours. Thirty-one of those runs came off Greg Maybury’s only over as Douglas hit him for two sixes and two fours.

Douglas was also brutal on Maybury’s replacement at the southern end, Isaiah Richardson, hitting the youngster for two sixes early in the over before he tried to pull another short delivery over mid-wicket and was bowled as the ball stayed low.

Douglas’s dismissal ended a partnership of 45 for the third wicket with opener Ajuan Lamb who finished on 27 not out, hitting two sixes and two fours.

There was little success for the Somerset bowlers as Micah Simons, Marcus Johnson and Richardson took a wicket each in their two overs.

Earlier Justin Corday was the top batsman for Somerset as St David’s had them wobbling at 60 for seven when Corday came in at No 9. He batted with confidence as he hit 27 of the last 29 runs, including three well struck sixes, before he was last out on the final ball of the innings.

Joshua Gilbert was the only other batsman in double figures with 14 as George O’Brien claimed four for 18 from four overs and Delyone Borden four for 30 off four overs after spinner Dion Stovell took the first two wickets of William White and Jade Morrissey on his way to figures of two for five from four overs.

No other matches were played in the Premier Division as Southampton v Western Stars and Cleveland and Bailey’s Bay were both called off because of wet wickets caused by yesterday’s heavy, early rain.

Only one match was played in the First Division where PHC also made it two wins out of two with a seven wicket win over neighbours Warwick at PHC Field. The match also started late (4.05) as Warwick posted 105 for five in their 20 overs after being sent in. Shamori Boyles-Simons was high man with 25 while Jahomori Beach scored 21 and captain Stefan Dill 21 not out.

Cory Burgess claimed two for 18 from four overs and Davon Govia two for 24 off three overs.

In reply Romel McDonald scored 41 not out from four fours and two sixes and opener Charles Trott 34 not out, hitting four fours and a six. The pair came together at 46 for three and shared in an unbroken fourth wicket stand of 61 as they reached 107 for three in just 14 overs. Kian Butterfield took two for 16 for Warwick.

The matches between Flatts and Willow Cuts and Devonshire Rec and St George’s were also hit by the rain.

n The umpires in the two matches played wore black armbands as a show of respect to former umpire Wilbur “Bull Cat” Pitcher who died on the weekend. Pitcher, an ex-cricketer for St David’s, died on Friday following a recent illness. Pitcher, 74, was also a former St George’s Cup Match player.

Photograph by Lawrence TrottAllan Douglas is bowled by Isaiah Richardson for a top score of 33 as St David's picked up their second straight win in the One Premier Division on a day of rained out matches
Photograph by Lawrence TrottRomel McDonald of PHC smashes this short delivery over mid-wicket for six during his knock of 41 not out in their win over Warwick at PHC Field yesterday