Eleven schools broken into
Eight of Bermuda's public schools have been broken into in recent weeks, according to police.
Police reported a spate of 11 burglaries across the schools from January 16 up until yesterday, affecting:
• CedarBridge Academy
• Clearwater Middle School
• Dame Marjorie Bean Hope Academy
• Elliot Primary
• Mount Saint Agnes Academy
• Prospect Primary
• Victor Scott Primary
• West Pembroke Primary
“Cash or electronic items were removed in seven instances — while it was unclear what, if anything, was taken in the remaining cases,” a police spokesman said.
“In addition, three of the school properties were targeted twice each.
“So far, no arrests have been made in connection with these incidents. However, detectives are following all available lines of enquiry and continue to work with the Department of Education to provide relevant crime prevention advice.
“With schools out on midterm break later this week, members of the public can assist by reporting any suspicious activity, individuals or vehicles in the vicinity of any school premises — especially during the hours of darkness — to the main police telephone number 295-0011.”
The burglaries of four schools was also raised earlier yesterday in the Senate.
Progressive Labour Party senator Renee Ming raised the issue, calling on recommendations and plans to be drawn up to ensure it does not happen again.
“Public safety cannot wait until the budget so I am raising it now,” Ms Ming told the senate.
Minister for National Security Jeffrey Baron outlined the importance of gathering statistics and facts surrounding the incidents, promising that he would address the issue in the next Senate sitting on Wednesday.
He said: “I thank senator Ming because as a community we have to continue to be aware and protect awareness of incidents like this. The conversation is important to have and I will return with further updates on Wednesday to provide some insight.”