Man arrested in connection with Robin Hood double murder
Police have arrested a 36-year-old man in the ongoing investigation of the double murder at the Robin Hood Pub.
The suspect was detained on Friday on suspicion of two counts of murder and two counts of attempted murder in connection with the shooting, which claimed the lives of Ayinde Eve and Micah Davis on October 26 last year.
It came after police carried out a search warrant at a St George’s home.
A spokesman said police had also intervened in a brawl among a group of young men at the National Sports Centre in Devonshire at 10.15pm on Friday.
Two teenagers were held by police – a 17-year-old found with a knife and a 16-year-old found with several clear plastic twists containing plantlike material.
Both were arrested, taken to Hamilton Police Station and released on police bail.
A suspect was also arrested in connection with the theft of $15,000 worth of jewellery from a visitor’s room at the Grotto Bay Hotel.
Police were called to the hotel just before 10.45pm on Saturday.
The items were recovered after police carried out a search at a home.
Just after midnight on Sunday, police attended the scene of an assault on Front Street, in which a 35-year-old man was reportedly set upon by a 34-year-old man during a party cruise, leaving him with facial injuries.
The suspect was said to be armed with a knife during the confrontation but the weapon was taken by others.
The knife was given to police, who stopped the suspect as he drove east on East Broadway.
He was arrested for assault and driving while impaired.
In total, police responded to 152 calls over the weekend, with 42 arrests – 22 for outstanding warrants.
Seven were arrested for impaired driving, three for possessing bladed weapons and three others under the Misuse of Drugs Act.
There was one arrest for breach of the peace, one for murder and attempted murder, and one arrest for burglary.
Police also issued 55 tickets for other traffic offences, with 13 given for speeding; 11 for driving without a licence; eight for no vehicle licence; and six for no insurance.
Six people were ticketed for parking offences; six for disobeying traffic signs; two for driving without a properly fastened helmet; and one for a cellular phone offence.
One person was arrested for driving while disqualified and one driver was issued a warning by police.
Acting Superintendent Robert Cardwell of the tactical division said he had been “particularly concerned” by the number of arrests for impaired driving.
“Impaired driving puts the life of not only the person engaging in this dangerous practice at risk, but also the lives of others,” he said.
Mr Cardwell reminded the public that heightened roads policing under Operation Vega remained in effect, with impaired driving and speeding singled out as “part of our main focus”.
“With the Cup Match holiday weekend almost here, we are understanding that people will want to have a drink or two, in keeping with the festivities,” he said.
“However, we urge you not to get behind the wheel of any vehicle or ride a motorcycle, no matter how capable you think you might be, if you have been consuming alcohol or using drugs, prescribed or otherwise. The life you save could be your own.”