Harbour Road repair job bigger than at first expected – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Harbour Road repair job bigger than at first expected

Pylons are removed from the roadworks on Harbour Road (Photograph by Blaire Simmons)

Work on Harbour Road will cover a bigger area than expected, the Government said last night.

The news came after a barge was brought in to help keep one lane open to traffic while work was carried out between Lovers Lane and Highwood Lane in Paget.

Use of the floating platform was earlier ruled out because the Government said it would cost $8,000 a day.

A public works spokesman said: “The ministry is pleased to advise that two-lane traffic will be restored by the middle of January following road reinforcements.

“The focus of this project has been to make the road safe and secure for the public.

“As such, while the project was under way, engineers found the unstable road section to be more extensive than initially believed, increasing the area needing repair from 82 feet to 145 feet.

“The difference in cost for the change was funded from cost savings within the ministry’s operating budget and will not require any supplementary funding.”

He added: “Motorists travelling on Harbour Road will have seen the concrete pylons moved and granite boulders added to the foundation.

“It was previously stated that the use of a barge for this project would increase the cost unnecessarily; however, in the interest of keeping a single lane open while the foundation is changed, the barge is being used to reduce further delays.

“The ministry can also confirm that part of the delay resulted from a dispute with an area resident relating to encroachment.

“As a result, staff were temporarily reassigned to other job sites to facilitate site surveys and the drafting of legal documents.”

The Royal Gazette has asked if the cost of the barge will also be covered by the savings realised elsewhere in the ministry’s budget.

A ministry spokesman said in November: “Using a barge was considered but at $8,000 per day this would have doubled the cost of the works and was not therefore considered a viable option.”

The spokesman also revealed at the time that $250,000 had been allocated for the project, of which $160,000 had already been spent.

Wayne Furbert, the acting public works minister, insisted: “Despite the delays, we are now nearing the completion of this project.

“And so, on behalf of the Ministry of Public Works, I truly wish to thank the public for their patience, co-operation and understanding.”

Work to repair the Lover’s Lane stretch of wall on Harbour Road was announced in late May and started in June.

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published December 17, 2021 at 7:54 am (Updated December 17, 2021 at 7:53 am)

Harbour Road repair job bigger than at first expected

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon