Daniel Augustus vows to bounce back from disappointing Torrey Pines debut
Daniel Augustus has vowed to bounce back from a disappointing debut at the APGA Farmer’s Insurance Invitational at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego, California, at the weekend.
The Bermudian professional finished in a two-way tie for ninth at 14-over par among the 18-strong field held on the’ North and South courses at the prestigious venue.
“I was not happy with the way I played at all,” Augustus said. “I hit it poorly, played horribly and the course was playing extremely difficult so it didn’t make matters better for myself.”
Augustus began Sunday’s final round at Torrey Pines’ South course tied for tenth, four shots off the lead, after carding a five-over 77 in the first round on the North course the previous day.
However, he was unable to make further inroads as his struggles continued on the way to a nine-over 81, which left him tied with North Carolina resident Quinn Riley.
Looking ahead, Augustus is determined to learn from the experience.
“The good thing about it is I know I have work to do,” he added. “I know that there’s room for improvement, more room to get better and become a better golfer.
“I know I have something to work on and I know it can only get better from here. So I am just going to go back, put my head down, get the work in and get ready for the next event.”
Augustus qualified for the event through the Lexus Cup points list after achieving four top-five finishes on the APGA Tour last season, including second at the APGA Scottsdale and tied for second at the APGA Mastercard Tour Championship.
Georgia resident Marcus Byrd, who finished tied for second at the inaugural Butterfield Bermuda APGA Championship at Port Royal last October, won the tournament by three shots to earn the $30,000 winner’s purse and exemption to next month’s PGA Tour Honda Classic at the PGA National Resort & Spa in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
There was added incentive for the field as the final round was televised nationally on Golf Channel.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service