Payouts at Fairmont Southampton: $11 million for more than 700 staff
The Ministry of Finance has started an $11 million payout to cover redundancy for staff at the Fairmont Southampton after the hotel shut its doors for an 18 month renovation.
Staff yesterday called at the hotel, which closed last month, to collect their payments and the process is expected to continue today.
A Government spokeswoman said the cash covered 714 redundant staff members.
She added that $7.3 million would be paid out for 430 positions filled by Bermudians.
The amount reached $8.4 million across 492 positions after spouses of Bermudians and permanent resident certificate holders were included.
Another $2.5 million will go to 222 work permit holders.
A total of 189 of the permit holders have already left the island and their payouts will total $2 million.
The Government spokeswoman highlighted that the number of positions is more than the number of workers as some held more than one post.
Curtis Dickinson, the finance minister, said on Monday that payments to workers were “in doubt” and that it was “unacceptable to leave the workers in the dark”.
Gencom, the new owners of the hotel, closed the Fairmont Southampton on October 23.
Mr Dickinson said Gencom will repay the Government for covering the redundancies.