Airport advertising rights up for grabs
Government has not decided who will hold the rights to sell advertising at the airport when concessionaire Rock Media’s contract ends in March.
A request for proposal was issued in April by the Ministry of Transport but there are plans to start the process again.
“The Ministry of Transport has not awarded the contract,” Permanent Secretary Ellen-Kate Horton told
The Royal Gazette. “The Ministry will be issuing another RFP.”
Ms Horton declined to give the reasons why her Ministry was restarting the search.
The original RFP gave interested parties until May 23 to respond, and cited a 120-day acceptance period. That deadline passed without Government announcing a winning bid.
The news was welcomed by Aardvark managing director Ben Fairn, who put in a bid for the concession in response to the original RFP.
Mr Fairn said that Aardvark was notified by Ministry officials that the company’s proposal had not been successful, and that another vendor had been selected.
“I’m delighted to know that the RFP is being reissued,” Mr Fairn said. “It’s an opportunity to rebid for the business.”
Aaron Adderley, manager of LF Wade International Airport, would only confirm that an initial RFP was issued and that no contract had been awarded.
“We have not entered into a contract at this point,” he said.
He declined to provide the specifics of the current contract held by Rock Media, saying that such information is not historically released to the public.
In the mid-1990s, Aardvark became the first company to sell advertising space at the airport.
At the time, according to Mr Fairn, 75 percent of the approximately $600,000 annual revenue was paid to the airport.
The RFP issued in April calls for the Department of Airport Operations to take a minimum 40 percent of the revenues from static displays and at least 35 percent of non-static display revenue.