Log In

Reset Password

Cablevision workers stage quick strike

Cablevision workers walked off the job yesterday after a dispute over incentive payments escalated.

Nine technicians and a few office staff staged a protest outside the firm's offices on Laffan Street in Pembroke.

Chief shop steward Michael Jones warned staff were prepared to stay out until the dispute was settled. But later in the day workers had returned to work, as a settlement was being worked out.

Workers decided on the course of action after a summit meeting last Thursday with management ended in stalemate.

Mr. Jones said the dispute surrounded a weekly $110 incentive payment to three installers, which was given for goodwill work as they carried out installations.

He said the company had made an offer of around 38 cents an hour, which they considered was too low.

The workers were prepared to stay out until the matter was resolved, with the chief shop steward vowing that they would not return to work until the issue was completely settled.

Cablevision workers entered the Bermuda Industrial Union last year. But the incentive agreement -- which was verbal -- was not included on the contract, he said.

Last night Cablevision acting general manager Wayne Sherman confirmed all staff had returned to work.

He said the issue had been resolved to the extent that another process had been agreed upon to finally settle the dispute.

BUSINESS BUC