Breast cancer awareness month events
Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre is rallying the community to take part in Breast Cancer Awareness Month throughout October.
In a series of events, people will be reminded about the importance of screening and early detection to help tackle the disease that affects one in eight women.
Tara Soares, executive director of the charity, said in a statement: “Education about breast health is a year-long goal of ours; however as this month is recognised by so many, it gives us the opportunity to really make an impact on the community.
“Many women do not realise that 80 per cent of those diagnosed have no genetic history of breast cancer in their family. It is very important for all women to take the necessary preventative measures and encourage others to do the same.”
People are encouraged to get involved by creating their own event or participating in those that have been organised to raise funds and empower women and their families with valuable information about breast health and breast cancer.
• October 1: launch of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Opening ceremony at noon, 46 Point Finger Road;
• October 2: Wear It Pink Denim Day. Get your organisation or school involved by e-mailing BCAMarketing@chc.bm;
• October 6: Gorham’s Think Pink Ladies Night from 6.30pm to 9.30pm;
• October 7 to 11: AS Cooper & Sons Pink Sale;
• October 21: BF&M Breast Cancer Awareness Walk. Health fair at Barr’s Park begins at 5pm, walk starts at 6pm. Visit www.racedayworld.com;
• October 29: Gibbons Company Shop and Give;
October 30: Friday Fish Fry at Christ Church in Warwick from 4.30pm to 8.30pm. Tickets from Keith’s Kitchen or Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre.
For a full list of events visit www.chc.bm.
All funds raised will support outreach initiatives including education and awareness programmes and the Equal Access Fund, which provides financial support for uninsured and underinsured men and women to receive recommended cancer screening and diagnostic services available at Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre.