Marshall claims 15K record
Lamont Marshall broke Mike Watson's 33-year-old national record in the Gate River 15K Run in Jacksonville, Florida, at the weekend.
Marshall placed 27th in a time of 47min 55sec to beat Watson's time of 48.38 set in November 1986 in the Bacardi road race.
“It's a personal best at that distance and great preparation for May 24, running at 5.08 a mile,” said Larry Marshall Sr, Lamont's father and coach.
“He wants to defend his title and get under 1:10. He also really wants to win it for the first time coming from the East End. He's really looking for a fast time; he's in the shape of his life.”
Marshall added the 15K record to the 5K and 10K records he also holds. He set the 5K record of 14.50 in Gloucester, New Jersey, and the 10K, in a time of 31.02, in Washington, DC.
“He is feeling good; this is also the second record for him this year,” Larry added.
“He broke the Bermuda 5,000 metres record on January 26 at an indoor event in Boston. On February 23, he won a four-miler in New York.”
Marshall's two wins in the Bermuda Half Marathon Derby came in 2016 and 2018 from Somerset to Hamilton.
He won last year by a comfortable margin after clocking 1:14:41, almost five minutes ahead of second-place Sean Trott.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service