Log In

Reset Password

Lightbourne refuses to criticise Cup referee

Kyle Lightbourne believes Robin Hood's players can hold their heads high despite crashing out of the FA Cup semi-finals against Dandy Town 1-0 at the Wellington Oval at the weekend.

The match was settled by a Treadwell Gibbons Jr penalty, although there were key decisions that did not go Robin Hood's way, including penalty claims either side of half-time.

Hood also had Alex Martin and Shane Dietz sent off in stoppage time after a late penalty claim was turned down by Lyndon Raynor, the referee. Rather than criticise Raynor's decision-making, Lightbourne said that the calls could have gone either way.

“Although the match ended as it did, we can still hold our heads high and be proud of the commitment we showed,” Lightbourne said. “One of the penalty appeals was for a handball by [Brandon] Minors, the Town captain, although it could have gone either way and the referee didn't think it was a penalty.

“The second one was when Gary [Adams] was pulled down in the area, which we thought was a clear penalty. It is up to the referee and he didn't give them, so we had to get on with the match.

“The other moment we thought we had a penalty claim was when Shaun [Brown] was fouled in the box in the dying stages. Had he gone down I truly believe the referee would have blown, but he stayed up. Shaun isn't a diver, so I have to credit him with that.”

Despite the defeat, Lightbourne was proud with how his team frustrated the Premier Division leaders.

“We knew it would be a difficult match and that they would have majority of the possession, but we gave a good showing of ourselves and I'm proud of the boys,” said Lightbourne, whose side won the First Division.

“Our game plan was to stifle them and to get them frustrated and for the most part we did that. They had two good chances early on, but after that we came into the game and they lost their way a little bit.”

North Village beat defending champions Devonshire Cougars 1-0 in Sunday's other FA Cup semi-final. Village take on Town in the final at the National Sports Centre on Sunday, April 6.

On the ball: Hood midfielder Liam Evans, centre, dribbles towards Damon Ming, the Dandy Town captain

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published March 25, 2014 at 9:00 am (Updated March 25, 2014 at 1:40 am)

Lightbourne refuses to criticise Cup referee

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon