Log In

Reset Password

Nahki Wells and Bristol City end three-match losing run with late win over Wycombe

Nahki Wells’s Bristol City got back to winning ways after edging bottom side Wycombe Wanderers 2-1 in the Sky Bet Championship at Ashton Gate today.

Wells and his team-mates went into the match keen on putting a halt to a three-game losing streak, and did just that to claim the points and more importantly reignite their push for promotion to the top tier.

Nahki Wells matches strides with Wycombe defender Josh Knight (Photograph courtesy of Bristol City FC)

The hosts prevailed on tallies from Chris Martin and substitute Famara Diédhiou, who replaced Bermuda striker Wells in the 69th minute.

Wycombe replied through Garath McCleary’s 68th-minute deflected shot that brought the teams level before Diédhiou’s 87th-minute thunderbolt finally settled this affair.

City remain ninth in the Championship, a point adrift of the play-off places.

It took Dean Holden’s team a while to find their attacking intent before Martin nodded in Callum O’Dowda’s cross to earn the hosts a deserved half-time lead with his third goal of the season in all competitions.

Antoine Semenyo then had a shot blocked while Martin blazed over as the home side pressed for more goals.

City picked up where they left off at the start of the second half with Wells dragging wide after being sent clear on goal by Semenyo’s pass.

O’Dowda then produced a fierce cross which was palmed away by Ryan Allsop into the body of Zak Vyner, who couldn’t react quickly enough, before the visitors cleared their lines.

Wycombe pressed on and were finally rewarded when McCleary’s shot deflected off City defender Adrian Mariappa and left goalkeeper Dan Bentley stranded to bring the teams level.

This set the stage for Diédhiou’s late heroics.

The Senegal forward lashed in from Martin’s initial cross three minutes from the end of regulation to mark his return from suspension in dramatic fashion.

City’s victory came at a cost as Vyner and O’Dowda, who both put in solid shifts, had to be replaced after suffering injuries and are now doubtful for Tuesday’s trip to Luton Town.

Elsewhere, Kane Crichlow was an unused substitute in Watford’s 1-0 home win over leaders Norwich City at Vicarage Road.

Ismaïla Sarr, the Senegal midfielder, scored the game winner in the 39th minute.

Dale Eve’s Spennymoor Town played to a goalless draw at Darlington while Milan Butterfield’s Guiseley drew 2-2 at home to Farsley Celtic in the Vanarama National League North.

Meanwhile, the Vanarama National League match pitting Justin Donawa’s Solihull Moors against Chesterfield was postponed.

The match at the Moors’ SportNation.bet Stadium was postponed after the Chesterfield squad was placed in full isolation with immediate effect in the wake of the news that positive Covid-19 tests have been returned.

Chesterfield cannot train, play fixtures or associate with anyone else until the club emerge from isolation on December 30.

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published December 26, 2020 at 8:51 pm (Updated December 26, 2020 at 8:52 pm)

Nahki Wells and Bristol City end three-match losing run with late win over Wycombe

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon