Talented academy footballers shine in Florida
A group of youth players from International Development Academy put in a good showing at the Easter International Cup held in Orlando, Florida, at the weekend.
Jack Fisher, Qash Lambert, Evans Welch, Kalila Daley, Amiya James, Isaac Todd, Zydon Lightbourne- Furbert, Conor O’Sullivan, Adam Barritt, Xavier Hidalgo and Devi Samuels all did their part representing various NE Surf Select boys and girls teams at the event.
“The Bermuda based players made significant contributions to their Surf Select teams at the event, leaving a positive impression on the coaches and creating interest for future invites for players from Bermuda to join Surf Soccer at events,” read an academy press release.
Six of the local players featured in the divisional championship matches held on Sunday.
Welch, Daley and James played for 2009 NE Surf Select Girls, who lost 5-4 on penalties against Florida Hawks Futbol Club in the under-14 Girls White Division Championship match. The two sides remained deadlocked at 2-2 after extra time.
O’Sullivan was a member of 2011 NE Surf Select Boys who suffered a 3-1 defeat against Boston-based Juventus Academy in the under-12 Boys Blue Division Silver Final.
Barritt and Hidalgo both played for 2012 NE Surf Select Boys who also went down 3-1 against Cayman Islands -based, 345 FC, in the under-11 Boys Blue Division Silver Final.
More than 260 teams from across the United States and 25 international teams competed in high level tournament featuring boys and girls from under-10 to under-19, with all matches played either at the Championsgate Fields at the Omni Resort or Austin Tindall Soccer Complex.
The International Development Academy is led by highly certified director of coaching, Peter Bradley, and was created to help players reach their full potential either at the collegiate or professional level.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service