Reta breezes into women’s final
It took Runa Reta few than 40 minutes to reach the women's final of the Senior Caribbean Championships in Cayman Islands.
The Bermuda Squash Racquets Association assistant coach breezed through her quarter-final yesterday afternoon against Akeila Wiltshire in 19 minutes, and then took just 20 minutes to dispatch Ashley Khalil in last night's semi-final.
Reta won both games against her Guyanese opponents quite convincingly, seeing off Wiltshire 11-2, 11-1, 11-6, and Khalil 11-3, 11-5, 11-9.
The final should take slightly longer with Reta, the second seed, facing top seed, Karen Meakins of Barbados, who had a marginally tougher time in her semi-final against Daniela Schumann, winning 9-11, 11-9, 11-9, 13-11.
Meanwhile, in the men's competition Micah Franklin and Noah Browne were both defeated in their quarter-finals.
Franklin squandered several match-ball opportunities during an agonising five-game loss to Sunil Seth, of Guyana, 5-11, 11-4, 11-6, 5-11, 12-10.
Up against the men's No 1 seed, Chris Binnie of Jamaica, Noah Browne delivered a strong performance, losing 11-8, 11-8, 12-10.
The Bermuda pair dropped down into the consolation quarter-finals, and recorded easy victories in their respective matches.
Franklin beat Bruce Burrows 6-11, 11-5, 11-4, 11-6, while Browne defeated Mandela Patrick 11-5, 9-11, 11-6, 11-4.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service