Driver banned for refusing breath test

Make text smaller Make text larger


A 27-year-old man was yesterday disqualified from driving for a year and fined for failing to provide a breath sample following a traffic stop last month.

Eric Trott Desilva was pulled over by police at around 1.30am on July 13.

Magistrates’ Court heard that Eric Trott Desilva was stopped after failing to obey a stop sign while travelling south on King Street.

After being pulled over, court heard that officers detected the smell of alcohol on his breath.

The court heard Desilva told officers: “I just want to get home.”

Asked if he had been drinking, he told police: “I have had a few drinks. It’s my birthday.”

While in police custody, he refused to give a breath sample for analysis.

Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo fined Desilva $800 for failing to provide a sample and $100 for disobeying a traffic sign in addition to the driving ban.

It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.

  • Take Our Poll

    • What will be the best way to create needed new jobs?
    • Attract more international companies
    • 29%
    • Grow the population
    • 10%
    • Reduce the number of non-Bermudian workers
    • 14%
    • Develop new business sectors other than international business and tourism
    • 36%
    • Retrain the workforce
    • 12%
    • Total Votes: 5529
    • Poll Archive

    Today's Obituaries