Trio given prison terms for Cup Match brawl
Three men were given prison sentences for their involvement in the massive brawl at Cup Match with one released immediately because of time served.
Danai Burns and Kershon Burt yesterday pleaded guilty in Magistrates' Court to riotous behaviour. Burt also admitted using a glass bottle as an offensive weapon.
Kenneth Caines pleaded guilty to aiding someone in lawful custody and to obstructing justice. The charges stemmed from actions relating to a fight at the end of the annual cricket classic, held in St. George's on July 31.
Eleven men were arrested and charged in connection with the brawl. Ten have now been sentenced. The final defendant, 24-year-old Jahkiel Samuels, denies helping a man escape Police custody and wilfully obstructing an officer. He will appear in court for trial on November 12.
The fight involved two groups of men at Wellington Oval who started throwing bottles before the violence spilled out of the bar and into the grounds before thousands of spectators.
Yesterday Senior Magistrate Archibald Warner allowed the time Burt and Burns had spent in custody since August 3, to be applied to their sentences.
Burns, 20, was sent to prison for three months. Burt, 21, was released immediately.
Caines, 24, was also sentenced to three months in prison, with time served since September 3 to be applied. Burt, of Pembroke, was represented by lawyer Rick Woolridge.
Mr. Woolridge said his client, a student at New England Institute of Technology, was trying to complete his schooling and in need of medical attention due to a neck and spinal injury he suffered in a car accident in 2005.
This, along with Burt's previously good conduct and time already spent in custody, led Senior Magistrate Archibald Warner to order Burt's release.
Lawyer Llewellyn Peniston represented both Burns and Caines. He said the incident "occurred in a climate of heated passion" and that Burns, of St. George's, did not intend to appear before the courts again.
Said Burns: "I just want to apologise to the public, my parents and learn from my mistakes. I won't put myself in a position like that again."
Mr. Peniston said a videotape of the incident shows Caines approaching a plain-clothes officer and telling him 'let my boy go, he is cool'.
The Devonshire resident never touched the officer who was known to him, argued Mr. Peniston.
Mr. Warner looked at Caines' previous convictions before sentencing him to three months' imprisonment, with time served since September 3 to be applied.
