Log In

Reset Password

Two more men imprisoned for Cup Match fracas

Six men appeared in court yesterday in connection with a fight at this year's Cup Match Classic — with two jailed for the part they played.

Dwayne Signor, 27, and Wolde Gardner, 30, pleaded guilty to riotous behaviour stemming from the incident at the end of the cricket game at Wellington Oval in St. George's on July 31.

Gardner further admitted being in possession of a glass bottle to use as a weapon. Both denied a charge of taking part in a fight and those pleas were left to lie on the file.

The pair was jailed for three months but Gardner, of St. George's, will then have to serve a six-month term imposed for a conviction from May 11. It was originally suspended but is activated because of his latest conviction.

Gardner told the court he "just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time". "First of all I would like to apologise to the courts and Bermuda, especially the people of St. George's, for what happened at Cup Match," he said.

"It was past altercations that happened at the same place where I tried to walk away and got stabbed in my back."

Chase Foggo, 21, and Ronnie Furbert, 19, both of St. George's, yesterday admitted riotous behaviour but denied taking part in a fight. Their not guilty pleas were also ordered to lie on the file.

Neither man has previous convictions and they were immediately released from custody. Senior Magistrate Archibald Warner said the time they had already served on remand was sufficient.

Danai Burns, 20, and Kershon Burt, 21, appeared in court for the same incident yesterday and the matter was adjourned until September 16.

Burns, of St. George's, denied taking part in the fight and riotous behaviour. A trial date will be set for him later this month.

Burt, of Pembroke, denied taking part in the fight but admitted to having a glass bottle to use as an offensive weapon and riotous behaviour. He denied stealing the bottle of scotch. His not guilty pleas were left to lie on the file.

His lawyer Rick Woolridge told the court his client was a student at New England Tech and was due to graduate in December.

He added that the defendant had been in a car accident in 2005 and still needed medical attention. Mr. Woolridge said Burt was due to fly to Lahey Clinic in Boston next month.

Eleven men have so far been arrested and charged in connection with the July 31 fight. The other defendants are:

• Psanto Eve, 19, and Justin Denbrook, 26, of St. George's. They both admitted being involved in riotous activity at the St. George's Cricket Club at a court hearing on Wednesday. Both were jailed for three months and Denbrook received an extra six months from a suspended prison sentence which was activated by his latest conviction. Eve will reappear in court this morning for his sentence to be reviewed.

• Kenneth Caines, 24, of Devonshire, who denied riotous behaviour, aiding someone in lawful custody and obstructing justice at a hearing last month. His trial date has been fixed for November.

• Jahkiel Samuels, 24, who denied helping Eve escape custody and wilfully obstructing an officer. He will appear in court next month for mention.

• Shomari Woods, 30, who admitted theft of alcoholic beverages and possession of an offensive weapon, namely a glass bottle. He also admitted taking part in a fight but denied a further charge of riotous behaviour and was jailed for nine months. A one-year jail term which was previously suspended has now been activated and will run concurrently.

The court heard yesterday that thousands of people were at Wellington Oval when two groups of men started throwing bottles, with the violence spilling out from the bar and onto the grounds.

Mr. Warner said: "Everyday sitting here, all this opportunity and some don't even take them up. Others do take them up and still, they're not children, they're adults and do things which they know will threaten their opportunities. Maybe they don't care because they think another one will come."