Log In

Reset Password

Victim targeted in altercation months before murder

Randy Robinson was fatally shot on Border Lane North on March 31, 2011 (File photograph)

The father of a man fatally shot in a 2011 “gang hit” said he was supposed to have dinner with his son on the night of his murder.

Randy Spence, the father of Randy Robinson, told the Supreme Court that he had spoken to his son on the day of the shooting, and the pair were supposed to meet that night for dinner.

He said: “It was the last day for lobsters so we were going to dinner that night.”

Mr Spence described his son as being full of life, a lover of football and a father of one.

He told the court that he was shocked to be told his son had been shot: “I went to his mother and just tried to stay strong for her.”

He told the court that Mr Robinson was not involved in gang activity, but recalled an incident in November 2010 in which a group of men confronted his son at St George’s Cricket Club.

Mr Spence said: “We were in the bar area and in a matter of seconds a few young men came in and tried to attack my son.

“First they were pointing and shouting; they wanted to get physical but I intervened, got in the middle.”

He said that security officers quickly got involved and the situation was calmed down before police arrived.

Mr Spence said he could not recall the identities of any of the men in the incident, but Karim Nelson, for the Crown, told the court that there was no evidence to suggest that the defendant, Devon Hewey, was involved.

Mr Hewey has denied charges of premeditated murder and using a firearm to commit an indictable offence in connection with the 2011 shooting of 22-year-old Mr Robinson.

The court heard previously that Mr Robinson was shot in the head and chest on the evening of on March 31, 2011, as he walked along Border Lane North.

Prosecutors have said he was targeted for a “gang hit” by two men on a motorcycle, which subsequently fled the area.

The Crown told the court that while another man, Jay Dill, has already been convicted of being the gunman, they allege that Mr Hewey was the rider of the bike.

As the trial continued yesterday, the court heard evidence from Detective Sergeant Windol Thorpe, who said that in the early hours of April 1, hours after the murder, he was sent to a home on Palmetto Road as part of the investigation.

He said his role was specifically to deal with the collection of gunshot residue evidence.

Mr Thorpe said that shortly after 3am, armed officers executed a warrant at the home and arrested Mr Hewey, whom Mr Thorpe took to Hamilton Police Station.

However, a short time later, Mr Dill was brought to the police station, where Mr Thorpe said he collected his clothing and took swabs for DNA and GSR.

The trial, before Puisne Judge Alan Richards, continues.

• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. This is to prevent any statements being published that may jeopardise the outcome of that case