Man admits punching family friend
A psychiatric report was ordered on a Mid-Atlantic Wellness Institute patient who punched a family friend in the face.
Jerome Thomas, 36, broke Shawn Thomas’ nose as the two sat drinking with friends, Magistrates’ Court heard. The two are not related. Jerome Thomas, who is an outpatient at the Devonshire facility, pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm to Shawn.
Prosecutor Carrington Mahoney said Mr Thomas told his arresting officers that he wasn’t taking his medication at the time. The incident occurred on December 23 around 7pm at a house in Warwick.
Shawn Thomas suffered a broken nose and an injury to his left eye in the altercation. Asked about the incident, Jerome Thomas told officers: “Yes I punched him. I’m tired of him talking about me.”
He said he was a patient at MWI but that he had not been taking his medication.
Lawyer Marc Daniels said his client heard Shawn Thomas make disparaging remarks about his mother and had an emotional response. Mr Daniels asked for the court to issue pre-sentencing reports on the defendant
Senior Magistrate Archibald Warner ordered psychiatric, psychological and social inquiry reports be carried out, releasing Jerome Thomas on $2,000 bail and a like surety until May 28.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service