Log In

Reset Password

Man admits assaulting neighbour

Magistrates Court (photo by Glenn Tucker)

A man found not guilty last week of opening fire at Somerset Cricket Club and injuring four people has admitted assaulting a neighbour in a separate incident.

Princeton Burrows, 24, was cleared of all charges linked to the November shooting but was forced to stay in custody because Magistrates’ Court had not granted him bail on the assault charge.

Appearing before the court on Tuesday, he pleaded guilty to assaulting Jeron Clemendor on October 25 last year, causing actual bodily harm.

The court heard that Mr Clemendor was walking to a Sandys bus stop when he encountered Burrows.

The pair reportedly exchanged words and Burrows struck Mr Clemendor on the left side of his face, knocking him to the ground.

Mr Clemendor complained to the police and Burrows was charged.

Defence lawyer Vaughan Caines noted that Burrows had been in custody since November in connection to charges of which he was found not guilty, suggesting to the court that a sentence of time served would be appropriate.

Mr Caines also argued that the assault was closer to “simple” assault than assault causing actual bodily harm, noting that the victim only complained of “puffiness” and a minor scratch or abrasion.

Burrows described the incident as a “misunderstanding”, saying he was lashing out in defence of his sister.

“I recently went to the complainant and apologised to him because he’s my neighbour and it was a misunderstanding,” he told the court.

“It was not just a random act of violence.”

Magistrate Tyrone Chin sentenced Burrows to four months in prison, with the time the defendant had already spent behind bars to be taken into account.

“I hope this is your last time in prison,” he added.

• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.