Man gets probation for assault on ex-girlfriend
A man who admitted an assault on his ex-girlfriend was given two years’ probation yesterday.
Magistrates’ Court heard that the attack happened after Andre Rochester, 55, and Mayanasha Burch had been drinking with friends on August 9 last year in Pembroke.
Rochester took Ms Burch’s car keys when she attempted to leave and the two got into an argument.
The court heard Rochester choked Ms Burch and bit her finger.
Ms Burch struck Rochester in the face until he let her go then pushed him to the ground.
She ran away and called police, who later arrested him.
Rochester said that he did not remember much of the incident.
He added he was sorry and had started to take classes to “get myself in order and do better”.
He said: “I regret all the events that took place.
“I am sympathetic to the victim and I’m willing to take any rehabilitation necessary.”
Rochester, from Pembroke, was charged with the offence on November 12 last year.
He at first pleaded not guilty to the offences, but switched his plea on December 21 and a social inquiry report was ordered.
Magistrate Tyrone Chin ordered Rochester to avoid drugs and alcohol while on probation and to take random drug tests.
He also ordered him to stay away from the victim, participate in abuse awareness classes and to complete Department of Court Services programmes.
•It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.