Drink driver – ‘I want to get the help I need’ – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password

Drink driver - 'I want to get the help I need'

A man was sent to DUI Court yesterday after admitting to drink driving while banned from the roads.

Lamont Marshall, 36, pleaded guilty in Magistrates’ Court to drink driving, driving whilst disqualified and refusing to take a breath test.

The court heard that on April 1 police stopped a car that was driving in an “erratic manner” along South Road, near Warwick Camp.

An officer attempted to speak with the driver, who was later revealed to be Marshall, but Marshall sped off and drove eastward.

Marshall was seen ignoring stop signs and travelling in the opposing lane throughout the chase, where he almost collided with a border wall along Botanical Gardens in Devonshire.

He eventually stopped on Berry Hill Road, Paget, after other police cars used emergency equipment to stop him near the ambulance bay on the southern side of King Edward VII Memorial Hospital.

Crown Prosecutor Karen King Deane told the court that officers saw multiple containers of alcohol in the front passenger seat.

Marshall told officers that he worked at the hospital and was on his way start his shift.

He admitted that he had been drinking alcohol that night, but told officers that he did not know how much he had to drink.

Marshall was arrested and taken to Hamilton Police Station.

Officers demanded he give a sample of breath for analysis, but Marshall refused.

Police also discovered that Marshall had been banned from the roads since June 12 last year until December 11 this year.

They further learnt that his driver’s licence had expired on July 22 last year.

When asked, Marshall told police that he knew he had been banned from the roads and that his licence had expired.

Marshall, from Devonshire, apologised for his actions and asked to be sent to DUI Court for treatment.

The three-time Bermuda Half Marathon Derby winner and Bermuda 5,000 metre recordholder told the court: “I want to get the help I need, especially now that I’m a husband and a father – I need to lead a better example.”

Magistrate Maxanne Anderson sent the case to the next DUI Court session on April 14 and released Marshall on $1,500 bail.

She ordered him to undergo a social inquiry report and drug assessment and banned him from the roads until further notice.

It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.