Police identify murder victim – man assisting with investigation
A man found murdered in Pembroke has been identified by police as 23-year-old Kyari Flood.
At a press conference, Detective Inspector Jason Smith also revealed that a man was in custody helping officers investigating the murder.
Mr Flood’s body was discovered at about 1pm on Monday at a site described by police as “a secluded, overgrown area” off Border Lane South and Friswells Road in Pembroke.
The victim had past convictions for robbery but was described by his family as someone set on reforming his life after his release from jail. He had steady employment and was looking forward to returning to England to his father and sister.
Mr Flood, who lived in Pembroke, had been known to the courts for a robbery in January 2018 but he also spent time in the UK and had been given permission to live in Britain with his father while on probation.
However, he was given jail time in 2020 after he returned to the island without informing his probation officer.
A relative said that Mr Flood’s recent time in prison had been “pivotal” in his decision to alter his life.
“You have a choice to come out and do the same or you can make a plan and change your life. I believe he was intending on making more changes.
“He was excited to be working. He found a place of belonging and purpose. I believe that’s where some changes were taking place. That part for me is really a blessing.
“I was told he was well mannered, very talented, he made time to work, and everyone at this particular establishment where he had been working was very proud of him.”
She added: “A lot of the time people look at your actions but you don’t know what is going on in a person’s heart. Everybody responds to trauma and pain in different ways.”
Mr Flood’s mother, Katrina, lost her life in 2011 in a motorcycle crash on Crow Lane on the way out of Hamilton.
The relative said the loss was an “ordeal” for her young son and daughter.
“Kyari was very much the big brother to her. Although he was going through his own pain and trauma, he took care of his sister. He would do whatever it took to make sure she was OK. They had a really, really tight relationship.”
She described him as “happy go lucky” and cheerful “in spite of his troubled side”.
“He was excited about work and looking forward to being able to travel back and see his family again.”
Mr Flood had been the victim of gunfire before in an attack in March 2020 on Court Street in Hamilton that claimed the life of Clarke Fox.
He was wounded when two people on a motorcycle chased and shot them.
On Monday, Mr Flood was found with a gunshot wound in what Mr Smith called “a very isolated location” – a derelict building surrounded by vegetation on an exposed hilltop off the sloping lane of South Terrace.
Police said his death “may have a direct link” to reports of gunshots heard by residents over a wide area the night before.
Acting Detective Inspector Derricka Burns said calls had come in at about 10pm on Sunday with residents reporting shots over a wide area.
Officers attended and spoke to residents but could not pinpoint the source of the shots.
“An extensive search of the area was conducted by police,” she said. “However, nothing suspicious was observed.”
Police declined to reveal how Mr Flood had come to the murder scene on Sunday night but asked anyone aware of his movements after 7.30pm to contact them.
Mr Smith added that a man had been arrested in connection with Mr Flood’s death in a police operation launched at 11pm on Monday.
The suspect remained in Hamilton Police Station at the time of the press conference.
Mr Smith said police still wished to hear from people in the area of Friswells Hill, Roberts Avenue and Parsons Road who heard gunfire and heard or saw vehicles – particularly in the aftermath of the shots.
Officers are appealing for anyone with potential information on Mr Flood’s killing to contact them at the police emergency number, 911; the non-emergency line, 211; the general police number, 295 0011; or the independent and confidential Crime Stoppers hotline at 800 8477.
Mr Smith, the senior investigating officer, can be reached directly at 717-0864 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information can also be provided by the public via a familiar police officer they feel comfortable speaking with.
• On occasion The Royal Gazette may decide to not allow comments on what we consider to be a controversial or contentious story. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.