Quarry dispute over
A dispute that led to three days of industrial action at a Government quarry has been resolved, it was revealed yesterday.
Arnold Smith, a Bermuda Industrial Union official, said an “amicable solution” was reached after a meeting last week between the union and management at the Hamilton Parish site.
Mr Smith added: “The management and union will work within the confines of the collective agreement.
He said that he believed quarry workers were back on the job yesterday.
Mr Smith added: “For lack of a better phrase, we came up with a win/win solution.”
Mr Smith was speaking after about 60 quarry workers called in sick walked out last Wednesday, followed by a sick out on Thursday and Friday in a protest against managers.
The industrial action happened after about 100 workers downed tools and refused to return to work until they spoke to Lieutenant-Colonel David Burch, the Minister of Public Works.
The BIU met officials from public works ministry last Friday to discuss the collective bargaining agreement and other staff concerns.
Mr Smith said that he and everyone involved were pleased with the outcome.
He added: “I haven’t heard anything negative, so that tells me that things went smoothly.
“Had their been any negativity then, trust me, I would have heard.”
Mr Smith declined to comment on claims made last week by the public works ministry that the union did not approve of the industrial action.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Public Works confirmed that the quarry workforce returned yesterday.