School Covid cases the result of ʽpoor behaviour of adults’
A more contagious strain of the coronavirus that has spread into the island’s schools came as a result of the “poor behaviour of adults”, MPs heard this morning.
Diallo Rabain, the education minister, addressed the House of Assembly on moves taken on Tuesday including school closures and an early Easter break to curb the spread of the virus.
“We all know that what happens in schools to some extent is a reflection of what’s happening in the community,” Mr Rabain said.
“If there is a Covid outbreak in the community, it’s just a matter of time before this seeps into the schools – which is what has happened.”
He said he was aware of reports of people on quarantine going “out and about in the community”.
“The current surge in infections we are experiencing is a direct result of persons flouting the rules that have been put in place.”
The House heard that the Education Emergency Measures Committee met last week over rising cases appearing in schools.
Mr Rabain said saliva testing has been carried out at the Elliot, Paget, Purvis and West Pembroke primary schools because of Covid-19 exposure.
Out of a total of 448 screened, there was one potential positive case at Elliot Primary.
Mr Rabain added: “This week, Victor Scott, Prospect, and Gilbert primary schools have been scheduled as part of this expanded use of the screening via saliva testing.
“A schedule to have these screenings done on a routine basis will be developed over the Easter Break and introduced when in school learning commences on April 12.”
Mr Rabain said that while schools were exempt from the ten-person limit on large gatherings, “camps, dance classes, weekend events with children or students and the like are not exempt”.
He called on the public to ensure that any camp over Easter break adhered to guidelines.