Five new Covid-19 cases as active infections rise to 15 – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Five new Covid-19 cases as active infections rise to 15

A returning resident who went into mandatory supervised quarantine tested positive for Covid-19 three days after returning to island, the Ministry of Health said last night.

The case was among five new cases of Covid-19 - all of whom were travellers - recorded between Thursday and Sunday. It is not known if the four remaining cases involved people who were immunised with the coronavirus vaccine.

The new cases means the number of active cases has risen to 15 from the 12 announced on Friday. None are in hospital. There were two recoveries since Friday.

The number of active cases hit a low of four on June 14.

In addition, 1,991 doses of the Covid-19 were administered in week ending on Friday. Of those, an estimated 322 were first doses.

As of Friday, 63.2 per cent of the population has been immunised with two doses and 1.7 per cent has had one dose meaning a total of 64.9 per cent of the total population has had at least one dose. Bermuda has set 70 per cent of the population as the target for herd immunity.

Of the five new cases, one was reported on Thursday, three on Friday and one on Sunday.

The first case was a resident who arrived on the SATA Azores Airlines flight from the Azores on June 27 and tested positive on their day four test.

The second was a resident who arrived on the American Airlines flight from Charlotte on June 28 and tested positive on their day four test.

The third was a resident who arrived on the British Airways flight from London on June 29, who was in quarantine, became symptomatic and was tested on day three.

The fourth was a non-resident who arrived on the American Airlines flight from Charlotte on July 2 and tested positive on their arrival test. The fifth was a non-resident who arrived on the British Airways flight from London on July 4 and tested positive on their arrival test.

The Ministry of Health has now completed the 25th full week of vaccinations. Since January 11, there have been 81,845 vaccines administered.

As of July 3, 52 per cent of those vaccinated were women and 48 per cent were men.

A ministry spokeswoman said: “Of our most vulnerable group, 87 per cent of those over 80 years old have had one or both vaccine doses, and 80 per cent of those between 65 and 79 years old have had one or two doses.

“To date, 64.9 per cent of the total population has been vaccinated with one dose, and 63.2 per cent of the population has been immunised with two doses.

“The Ministry of Health continues to encourage members of the public who wish to be vaccinated to visit the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital Vaccination Centre.”

Walk-in appointments are now being accepted, the ministry advised.

Hours of operation are from Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm and on Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 12pm.

There were two recoveries and no deaths since the last Covid-19 update.

Bermuda has recorded 2,521 cases of Covid-19 since March 2020 of which 325 were imported and 2,193 were classified as locally transmitted.

Of the local cases, 1,697 were from a known contact and 496 were from an unknown contact.

Three cases remain under investigation.

Of all cases, 2,473 have recovered and 33 have died.

For information regarding age distributions, visit https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-covid19-update

Of the active cases, four were aged up to 29, two were in their 30s, three were in their 40s and three were 50 or older. Ten of the 15 cases were males.

The seven-day average of Bermuda’s real time reproduction number is less than one and its current World Health Organisation country status is sporadic cases.

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published July 07, 2021 at 7:59 am (Updated July 07, 2021 at 7:59 am)

Five new Covid-19 cases as active infections rise to 15

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon