Covid-19: 21 active cases – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS

Covid-19: 21 active cases

Covid-19: David Burt, the Premier updates the country (Photograph by Akil Simmons)

The island now has 21 active cases of Covid-19, it was revealed tonight.

None are in hospital or under investigation.

But Kim Wilson, the health minister, said two students and the parents of one student have been “recently identified as contacts of a case”.

They have been told to quarantine by the Department of Health and will be tested tomorrow.

Ms Wilson said 722 test results came back yesterday and all were clear.

The active cases all came in from overseas – 13 were returned residents and eight were visitors.

There are 206 total confirmed cases of Covid-19.

Ms Wilson said there had been an increase in visitors in recent time because of three large sports events.

She appealed to people who had attended any of the events who were in close contact with visitors to get tested.

She also asked parents of students who returned from overseas on holiday to ensure they complied with quarantine requirements.

Ms Wilson said she was pleased by the prosecution yesterday of two visitors who had “wilfully” broken their quarantine requirement before they got their test results.

The married couple was caught after health officials attempted to speak to them at their hotel and were informed by staff that the two had gone out.

Ms Wilson said the Government was still “strongly discouraging” people from overseas travel for all but essential trips.

David Burt, the Premier, said recent news of an increase in positive cases would “give many a reason to pause”.

He added the rise in cases had caused him worry, but emphasised that “an excellent team of professionals” were behind the island’s test regime.

Mr Burt said the island’s open borders would inevitably mean more cases from overseas.

But he added the island was fifth in the world for test rates and that it was “critical” for the public to follow public health advice.

He said: “Our TVs are filled with what happens when you are not as diligent, when you relax. We must resist that urge.

“We have set an example for the world, and I am still confident in our ability to keep setting that example.”

Mr Burt added he had been informed earlier today that there had been public health violations at “an establishment” over the weekend.

He said the Throne Speech would go ahead on Friday with the reconvening of Parliament in St George to mark the 400th anniversary of the Legislature.

Mr Burt said: “This Throne Speech will be shorter than in years past.

“But that’s because the Government is going to lay out what we can deliver in the legislative year.”

Mr Burt highlighted that England was preparing to go into its second period of Covid-19 lockdown on Thursday.

But he said there had been “no indication” that British Airways would pull its flights to the island because of the crisis.

You must be registered or signed-in to post comment or to vote.

Published November 04, 2020 at 12:00 am (Updated November 04, 2020 at 12:00 am)

Covid-19: 21 active cases

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon