Log In

Reset Password

Woman was assaulted and robbed

by her hair, beaten and robbed.A Police spokesman said the woman told officers that she was walking along Elliott Street, near Augustus Funeral Home, around 9 p.m.

by her hair, beaten and robbed.

A Police spokesman said the woman told officers that she was walking along Elliott Street, near Augustus Funeral Home, around 9 p.m. on Monday when someone grabbed her by her ponytail and dragged her into a nearby parking lot.

The attacker grabbed her shirt and ripped it, then punched her twice in the face and she fell to the ground.

The woman tried to hold on to her black canvas shoulder bag, but the robber got it away from her and made off with it plus the wallet and cash it contained.

BAIL FOR TURKISH MAN CTS Bail for Turkish man A 20-year-old Turkish man accused of a serious sexual assault on a cruise ship passenger has been freed on $15,000 bail.

Magistrate Archibald Warner yesterday released the man after hearing another Turkish national was willing to stand as a surety for his compatriot.

Prosecutor Veronica Daley asked Mr. Warner to impose, as a part of the bail, the condition that the man report to a Police Station daily between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. and surrender his travel documents.

Mr. Warner told the surety: "You're going to be his jailer. He must report to Somerset Police Station every day.'' The 22-year-old Zenith passenger told investigators the alleged assault took place behind the public toilets at Par-la-Ville Park around 4 a.m. on July 20.

MAN IN STABLE CONDITION HTH Man in stable condition The 36-year-old man who Police discovered collapsed in the street on Sunday evening is reportedly in stable condition in a general ward at the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital.

Police found the man unconscious on the Middle Road in Sandys Parish around 8 p.m. on Sunday night.

He was rushed to hospital were he remained in an unconscious state overnight.

Police have still not revealed what happened to the man, but said they believe the circumstances were not suspicious.

MORE STUDENT RIDERS NEEDED GVT TRA More student riders needed Students are not rushing to enter Bermuda Road Safety Council's Project Ride contest.

Despite offering a new motorbike and other prizes, contest organisers yesterday reported that the sign-up list was not accelerating.

Ralph Richardson, customer relations manager at BF&M who has organised the giveaways, said: "So far only 80 people have signed up. We had expected the figure to be at least 150.'' "Nearly 600 students have taken the Project Ride course over the last two years,'' he pointed out, "so we had anticipated the response to be greater.'' Pointing out that today is the final day to sign up for the draw, Mr.

Richardson was hopeful that there will be a last-minute rush.

"Twenty-six kids have signed up in the last two days,'' he pointed out.

Draws for the bike, along with 20 other prizes, will take place tomorrow afternoon at Barr's Bay Park in Hamilton.