House: public responds to ideas forum
Residents have called on the Government to use local expertise to help stimulate the economy.
People also suggested boosting hotels and restaurants and creating high streets at either end of the island in an online forum set up by the Government after the Covid-19 outbreak rocked the island's economy.
Jamahl Simmons, the Minister without Portfolio, gave an update on the responses at the House of Assembly today.
• Call on global executives and job creators, such as re/insurance leaders, to join the national effort to rebuild Bermuda's economy
• Leverage the expertise and international perspective of these figures to enhance Bermuda's competitiveness in the global market
• Facilitate a restaurant-business partnership to jump-start our local food and beverage industry
• Use our stable government leadership during Covid-19 as an example of a positive attribute to promote Bermuda around the world
• Pursue globally significant institutions and personnel to make Bermuda a regional hub for innovation and excellence in 21st Century educational methods and curriculum
• Creation of high streets in Hamilton, Dockyard and St George's
• Bermuda Star rating for hotels
• Legislate minimum standards for hotels.
Mr Simmons said: “This Government is committed to providing members of the public with the opportunity to offer their ideas, suggestions and indeed, their opinions.
“We welcome the input from those we serve as we recognise that we do not always have all the answers.”
The Government received a total of 136 submissions, which generated 109 comments mostly showing support for the ideas.
Mr Simmons said: “We have been very impressed by the substance and innovation contained in these submissions. Clearly, individuals have shown a keen interest in making a contribution to the recovery of our country post-Covid-19.
“It is indeed very encouraging to see so much interest from such a diverse cross-section of Bermuda and this augurs well for us as we strive to work our way not only through this pandemic but, beyond it. “
People can put forward ideas by visiting forum.gov.bm.
• To read Jamahl Simmons's statement in full, click on the PDF under “Related Media”