Log In

Reset Password

Battling Town still in hunt

Southampton Rangers 1 Dandy Town 3

Stormy weather conditions at Southampton Oval didn't prevent the visitors Dandy Town from emerging from this Premier Division clash with a two-goal victory.

A first-half strike from Jared Peniston combined with goals in the second half from Damon Ming and substitute Kevin Hurdle saw Town brush off their spirited opponents who got a lone strike from Jermain Dill to keep the home side's hopes alive mid-way through the second half.

Though Town were comfortable winners in the end and finished with some explosive attacking in the final stages when they snatched their third goal Rangers had nothing to be ashamed of because for the longest period they matched the visitors and looked quite like being deserved a share of the points until Town took the initiative at the end.

In a contest played under tough conditions and handled well by referee Elihu Holmes the sides had trouble rising above the mediocre in the first half although Lyn Tucker of Town found himself in goalscoring positions only to squander his finishing touches. One particular blown effort came after 10 minutes when he stroked his angled shot from eight yards wide of the near post.

During counter attacks Rangers came close to scoring through Dennis Russell after 25 minutes and later Morricko Iris, both putting shots from just inside the box over the crossbar. During an eight minute spell Rangers pinned down Town and troublesome corners by Travis (Red) Wilkinson, Rangers best player, saw the defence scramble the threatening crosses away of goal.

Just when it looked like a goal for Rangers was imminent Town struck through Peniston, scoring from a goal scramble after goalkeeper Jason Smith had palmed away a dangerous curling blast from Heys Wolfe after 42 minutes.

The second half proved more interesting although the squalls were stronger, but both teams did well to weather the tough conditions.

After 53 minutes Ming put Town two-up after combining with Hurdle only seconds after the latter came onto the pitch.

Rangers didn't deserve to be two goals behind as they continued to match their opponents.

They were finally rewarded for their perseverance after 61 minutes when hard-working midfielder Jermaine Dill rose up to turn home a high deliver into the box with his head.

An equaliser deserted Rangers four minutes later when Travis Wilkinson masterfully dribbled around right full-back Jared Peniston to force goalkeeper Treadwell Gibbons to fall to the ground to save his angled shot from 14 yards.

After a long period of even play with Town holding slight territorial advantage the visitors should have taken a 3-1 lead but this time Lyn Tucker, who struggled up front for Town all day, had the miss of the game when

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published December 06, 2010 at 1:00 am (Updated December 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm)

Battling Town still in hunt

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon