Harbour Nights a success despite Covid-19 restrictions
The first Harbour Night events since the Covid-19 pandemic hit were a “resounding success”, the organisers said today.
Kendaree Burgess, the chief executive officer of the Chamber of Commerce, added the traditional Wednesday night entertainment had been popular, despite restrictions.
She said: “Week over week we saw attendee numbers increase and, although we did not have pre-pandemic numbers of attendees, records show thousands of people flocked to Front Street over the six-week period all while adhering to the safety measures put in place.”
Ms Burgess, who thanked Butterfield Bank for its support for Harbour Nights, was speaking after the Chamber held the final Harbour Night of the year last Wednesday.
Rochelle Minors, of clothing store RN Design, said it had been the store’s first time with a stall at Harbour Nights.
She added that the fairs were “the highlight of the week for me” and that they were a “safe, inviting, fun and fulfilling experience”.
Ms Minors said: “The best part was finally being able to interact with customers, both new and returning, and giving them a storefront experience.
“I’m super grateful for Butterfield for their sponsorship this year as it brought peace of mind during such a time of uncertainty.”
Ms Minors added: “Thank you to the public for coming out and supporting all the local small businesses.”
Sonya Clarke, the owner of Sensational Delights restaurant in Hamilton, said Harbour Nights were a boost for her business because Sensational Delights did not have outdoor dining space.
Ms Clarke added: “Every dollar made from Harbour Nights will help us with our operation expenses.
“We recognise that this event is vital to the legacy of Bermuda’s tourism product and believe that Harbour Nights needs to be continued to maintain its status as a summer staple.”